First, a question. What in the hell is in Yadi's mouth?
Okay, I know. You don't know. You're probably even thinking, "Huh?" Or, "What?" Seriously, though. It was not your run-of-the-mill mouth guard. Is he wearing a retainer?
What a beautiful day for baseball. Be sure to sit outside and soak up some vitamin D, sports fans.
Now, on to the game. (How exciting is it that we finally have real baseball to talk about?)
Good things about the 2010 Opening Day in Cincinnati:
- Yadi in the lineup (and, maybe more importantly, behind the plate).
- A-Rey, Jr. rocking the stirrups.
- The Best Player In Baseball. AB: 1. HR:1.
- The Wood-smith on the mound. "Screaming at Votto down the line."
- Scott Rolen on deck.
- End of the first, Cards up 1-0.
- Scott Rolen flying out to left field.
- Raspberry Tart going deep in the fourth.
- Lug-nut's base hit to left.
- The Penguin's RBI single.
- Rolen bobbling the ball, allowing Yadi to go to third.
- The Wood-smith's bunting stance.
- Carp powering through the fourth and keeping the lead intact.
- End of the fourth, Cards up 3-2.
- TBPIB now 2 for 3 with a single in the fifth.
- The Captain sliding cleats-first into the 2Bman.
- "The ball gets away and Pujols will score!"
- End of the fifth, Cards up 4-2.
- Molina beating Rolen's throw to first.
- Raspberry Tart climbing the wall and taking a homerun away from Rolen.
- Realizing (during the interview) that my respect for Moze has grown exponentially since his start.
- TBPIB adding on 2 more with his second HR of the season/game following a Boog single.
- The Captain collecting his first hit with a single in the seventh.
- Carp leaving with a decent line. 6IP, 5H, 2ER, 3K, 0BB.
- End of the seventh, Cards up 6-3.
- End of the eighth, Cards up 6-4.
- YADI TAKING ONE YARD FOR A GRAND SLAM!!!
- "The Redbirds have pulled out the power sack." -Mike Shannon
- Cards win the first game of 2010 by a score of 11-6.
- On 3-0, Matt Holliday lining out to Aaron Harang.
- Yadi hit by a pitch in the fourth. Holliday in the fifth.
- Stranding 2 in the fourth.
- Votto's solo shot in the fourth.
- Rolen's solo shot in the fourth.
- Batman booting an easy grounder.
- The Reds' circus act in the sixth to get Carp at first.
- Jason Motte.
- The ball through the legs of The Penguin.
- "That was stolen off McClellan."
- Ryan Franklin
Well, at any rate, there is one thing we can all agree on: the Cardinals are back.
Oh, and the Cubs
Ahhh, baseball. It's going to be a great year.
10 NDD points for Yadi. For his FIRST GRAND SLAM EVER.